Recent and Forthcoming Talks
- Union College, Department of Philosophy (16 February 2017)
- Pacific APA, Seattle (12 April 2017)
- Seoul National University (May 2017)
- "Consciousness, Naturalism, and Human Flourising" Central APA, Chicago (March 3, 2016).
- "Whose Consciousness, Which Cognition: Svasaṃvedana and the Problem of Self-knowledge," Buddhist Philosophy of Consciousness Conference, National Chengchi University, Taipei (March 11, 2016).
- "Reflexive Sensibility," College of Humanities and Social Sciences, Taipei Medical University, Taipei (March 10, 2016).
- "Personal Identity and Cosmopolitan Philosophy," Pacific APA, San Francisco, Author Meets Critics Session on Jonardon Ganeri's The Self (April).
- Harvard University, Accountability for Attitudes Workshop (May 1, 2016)
- Ronald E. Moore Humanities Symposium, Texas Christian University (November 2016)
- Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow (November 2016)
- Author meets critics panel on my book, Perceiving Reality, Pacific Division Meeting of the American Philosophical Association, Vancouver, April 4, 2015.
- Invited Commentator, Panel on Self-Awareness, Subjectivity, and No-Self, American Philosophical Association Meeting, Philadelphia, December 28, 2014.
- “Consciousness and Causal Explanation: Śāntarakṣita Against Physicalism,” The 5th International Dharmakīrti Conference, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, August 28, 2014.
- "Reflexive Sensibity and the Madhyamika's View From Nowhere," Panel on Buddhist Philosophy of Mind, The 17th Congress of the International Association of Buddhist Studies, Vienna, Austria, August 18 - 23, 2014.
- "Reflexive Sensibility: The Bedrock of Consciousness," Toward a Science of Consciousness Conference, Tucson, Arizona, April 21, 2014.
- "Mending the Gap: Buddhist Philosophy of Mind and the Cognitive Science of Consciousness," Buddhism, Mind, and Cognitive Science" University of California, Berkeley, April 26, 2014.
- "A Buddhist View of Cognitive Phenomenology," Marquette University, Milwaukee, April 10, 2014.
- "Consciousness and Causal Explanation," Ronald E. Moore Humanities Symposium on "Consciousness," Texas Christian University, March 28, 2014.
- "A Non-Egological Account of Phenomenal Consciousness," American Philosophical Association, Central Division Meeting, New Orleans, February 2013.
- "Presence and Temporality: A Buddhist Account of Phenomenal Consciousness," Centre for Philosophy, Jawaharlal Nehru University, January 2013; American Philosophical Association, Central Division Meeting, New Orleans, February 2013.
- "Consciousness and Intentionality: Preliminary Observations," National Chengchi University, Taipei, March 2013.
- "Self-Awareness and the First-Person Stance: Charting the Phenomenology of Svasaṃvedana," National Chengchi University, Taipei, March 2013.
- "Who's Afraid of Naturalism? Non-eliminative Reductionism and the Enlightened Mind," National Chengchi University, Taipei, March, 2013.
- "Neurobuddhism: Compassion Naturalized," Author Meets Critics Panel, American Philosophical Association, Pacific Division Meeting, San Francisco, March 2013.
- "The Ineliminable Character of Reflexive Awareness: What is at Stake in Contemporary Debates?", University of Bucharest, May 22; University of Chicago, November 6.
- Participant-At-Large, "Mind and Attention in Indian and Contemporary Western Philosophy Conference," Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, September 21-22, 2013.
- "Irreflexive Thoughts, Selfless Persons, and Other Philosophical Curiosities," Invited talk, Jerry Balmuth Lecture Series in Philosophy, Colgate University, December 5, 2013.
- "Taking the Intentionality of Perception Seriously: Why Phenomenology is Inescapable," NEH Summer Institute, College of Charleston, Charleston, May 25, 2012.
- "How Thoughts Feel: The Cross-modality of Cognitive Phenomenology," Toward a Science of Consciousness Conference, Tucson, AZ, April 9-14, 2012; NEH Summer Institute, College of Charleston, Charleston, May 29, 2012.
- "Are Reasons Causally Relevant for Action? Dharmakīrti’s Kāryānumāna Argument and the Embodied Cognition Paradigm," American Philosophical Association, Central Division Meeting, Chicago, February 16, 2012.
- "Reflexivity Without a Self: How do Buddhists Explain Consciousness?" Colgate University, Department of Philosophy, Thursday, Dec. 1, 2011, 4:15pm, Hascall 202.
- "How Embodiment Shapes Consciousness and Cognition," American Philosophical Association, Eastern Division Meeting, Washington, D.C. December 2011.
- "A Buddhist Phenomenological Account of Intentional Objects: Vasubandhu and Dignāga on artha-pratibhāsa," American Academy of Religion, Yogācāra Studies Consultation, Theme: Analyzing Vasubandhu’s Twenty Verses (Viṃśatikā): Causes, Objects, Appearances, Aspects, San Francisco, November 19, 2011.
- "Practical Reason and the Spontaneity of Compassion," Contemporary Perspectives on Buddhist Ethics: Freedom and Responsibility, Columbia University, October 6-7, 2011.
- "Reasons and Causes: A Naturalized Account of Dharmakīrti's Kāryānumāna Argument", XVIth Congress of the International Association of Buddhist Studies, Dharma Drum Buddhist College, Taiwan, June 2011.